KTM revealed what is quite possibly the worst-kept secret and its most anticipated motorcycle ever at the EICMA show in Milan today, the 2019 KTM 790 Adventure, along with a bonus 790 Adventure R model with upgraded suspension for even more hardcore ADV riders. Designed to split the difference between lightweight dual-sports that are less suitable for long-distance road riding and large ADV bikes that are too heavy for challenging off-road terrain, both aggressive-looking bikes are powered by the 799cc LC8c parallel twin first seen in the KTM 790 Duke, with the engine tuned to deliver its torque lower down in the rev range to fit the specific requirements of adventure riding. KTM says the result is smooth acceleration, plentiful performance and a 450km (280 mile) range from a 20-liter (5.3-gallon) tank. The bikes also have a full-suite of rider assistance systems, navigated and activated with a bar-mounted menu switch, aligned to a full color, TFT display. MSRP is $12,499 for the 790 Adventure and availability is TBD.
2019 KTM 790 Adventure / 790 Adventure R Highlights
* Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 799cc DOHC parallel twin with electronic fuel injection, dual balancer shafts, PASC slipper clutch and Ride-by-Wire for a smoother and more refined response.
* Tubular Chromium Molybdenum steel frame with the engine as a stressed member to reduce weight and overall size.
* WP 43mm APEX open-cartridge front fork set with split function technology that separates the compression and rebound damping.
* WP APEX shock absorber with adjustable preload is setup for traveling long distances in tough conditions with all day riding comfort.
* Spoked wheels with a 21-inch front and an 18-inch rear for excellent off-road capability.
* A slim platform with a low-slung fuel tank to lower the center of gravity and allow the rider freedom of movement.
* Twin 320mm front brake discs with 4-piston radially mounted calipers, Cornering ABS and Offroad ABS.
* Rider aids include Street, Offroad, Rain and optional Rally ride modes, motorcycle traction control (MTC), motorcycle slip regulation (MSR), the optional Quickshifter+ and KTM MyRide. Heated grips, heated seat and cruise control are also optional.
* LED headlight and taillight.
* Multifunctional dashboard with full-color TFT display. The display’s configuration is variable and automatically adapts to variations in environmental light.
* A tall windscreen, height-adjustable 2-piece seat, and hand guards are all standard.
* Steering damper fitted as standard.
* Tapered aluminum handlebar can be mounted in 6 positions on the triple clamp resulting in 30mm of adjustability.
The 790 Adventure R model adds a fully-adjustable WP XPLOR 48mm fork originally developed for enduro riding, which is fitted with a spring on both sides and has separate damping functions for each fork leg for better response and damping characteristics. The Adventure R’s WP Xplor PDS rear shock uses KTM’s trademark progressive damping system, which allows progressive damping without using a linkage for reduced weight and maintenance. The R also has a higher one-piece, non-adjustable seat, and from the photo of the European version, also appears to have a shorter windscreen and higher front fender. MSRP is $13,499 for the 790 Adventure R and availability is TBD.
2019 KTM 790 Adventure/790 Adventure R Specifications
Engine Type: Liquid-cooled transverse parallel twin, DOHC, 4 valves per cyl.
Bore/Stroke: 88 / 65.7mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 10AH
Transmission: 6 speed
Fuel System: DKK Dell’Orto, 46 mm Throttle Body
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication with Two Oil Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling with Water/Oil Heat Exchanger
Clutch: PASC (Power Assisted Slipper Clutch), Mechanically Operated
Ignition: Bosch EMS with Ride-By-Wire
Frame: CroMoly Tubular Steel, Engine as Stressed Member
Subframe: CroMoly Steel Trellis
Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ø 26/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP USD Ø 43mm/ WP USD Ø 48mm
Rear Suspension: WP Monoshock / WP Monoshock with PDS
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 200mm / 7.9 in.; 200mm / 7.9 in.; ADV R: 240mm / 9.4 in.; 240mm / 9.4 in.
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm / 260 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 2.50 x 21 in., 4.50 x 18 in.
Front/Rear Tires: 90/90-21 in.; 150/70-18 in.
Steering Head Angle: 25.9º / 26.3º
Wheelbase: 1,509 mm ± 15 mm / 59.4 ± 0.6 in.; ADV R: 1,528 mm ± 15 mm / 60.2 ± 0.6 in.
Ground Clearance: 233 mm / 9.2 in.; ADV R: 263 mm / 10.4 in.
Seat Height: 850 / 830 mm; 33.5 / 32.7 in.; ADV R: 880 mm; 34.6 in.
Tank Capacity: 20 l / 5.3 gals.
Dry Weight, Approx: 189 kg / 416.7 lbs.