First released for 2010, the S 1000 RR is now entering its third generation, with significant engine and suspension changes, improved ergonomics and a totally new look.
According to the press release for the new RR, BMW had three major goals: make it faster around the track, more than 10kg (22 pounds) lighter and more user-friendly and easier to ride. It claims success on all three, with a boost in horsepower to a claimed 205 peak at 13,500 rpm, a drop in weight from 459 pounds to 434 and refinements to the suspension and electronics that improve performance, feedback and rideability.
The 999cc in-line four has been updated with BMW’s variable valve timing and valve stroke ShiftCam technology, plus a revised intake passage and exhaust port, and it reportedly weighs 4kg (8.8 pounds) less than before. The result is more torque at the low- to mid-range and increased top-end power.
A new frame increases the load-bearing function of the engine, with the aim of improving rider ergonomics but also contributing to the effectiveness of the revised suspension, something BMW calls Flex Frame. The fuel tank is leaner and the seat area more trim, for better grip at the knees.
Standard equipment on the 2019 S 1000 RR includes:
- Four riding modes: Rain, Road, Dynamic and Race
- HP Shift Assistant Pro (up and down quickshifter)
- 6-axis IMU-based Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), DTC Wheelie Function and ABS Pro (cornering ABS)
- 6.5-inch TFT with four display options tailored for street and track use
- Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) electronic suspension
- Pro Modes, which adds three Race riding modes, Launch Control, Pit Lane Limiter and the ability to adjust DTC, ABS, wheelie control, torque curve and engine braking
- Cruise control
- M package (see below)
The 2020 BMW S 1000 RR will be available in Racing Red and Motorsport, the latter as part of a special M performance package that includes M carbon fiber wheels, M light-weight battery, M Chassis Kit with rear ride height adjustment and swingarm pivot, M sport seat and Ride Modes Pro. Pricing and availability are TBD.