Since launching its three-wheeled Can-Am Spyder RS roadster a decade ago, Canada’s Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) has steadily improved and expanded the Spyder lineup. Unlike aftermarket trike conversions with two wheels out back, the Can-Am Spyder was designed from the ground-up based on what BRP calls “Y architecture,” with two front wheels with double A-arm front suspension and an anti-roll bar, a single, belt-driven rear wheel and a vehicle stability system that includes stability control, traction control, anti-lock braking and dynamic power steering. All three wheels have automotive-style tires with big contact patches that provide lots of grip, yet Spyders have motorcycle-style saddle seats, handlebars and controls.
The 2018 Can-Am Spyder lineup includes three model families:
- For sport cruising, there’s the Spyder F3 and Spyder F3-S, both of which have feet-forward seating positions that can be customized with Can-Am’s UFit system.
- For cruiser touring, there’s the Spyder F3-T and Spyder F3 Limited, which have feet-forward seating positions, the customizable UFit system and touring features such as hard saddlebags and windscreens.
- For luxury touring, the Spyder RT and Spyder RT Limited up the ante with more upright seating positions, integrated saddlebags, trunk and passenger backrest, and a longer list of touring amenities.
All 2018 Can-Am Spyders are powered by the Rotax 1330 ACE in-line three-cylinder engine with a 6-speed manual or semi-automatic transmission with reverse and the Vehicle Stability System.
Updates for 2018 include:
- A new full-color digital instrument panel on Spyder RT, Spyder RT Limited, Spyder F3-T and Spyder F3 Limited models. The new display includes a pair of 4.3-inch screens that show speed, fuel level and other vehicle information, as well as information about Bluetooth connectivity to compatible devices (which allows streaming of music and other content directly to the Spyder) as well as connectivity to third-party smartphone apps via BRP Connect. Compatible apps include Genius Maps, Music, AccuWeather and Rever, with more to come.
- Spyder RT models get a new 6-speaker BRP Audio Premium system, which delivers better sound quality with more power.
- Spyder F3 Limited and Spyder RT Limited models can now be customized with Dark or Chrome options for the windshield supports, front wheels, mirrors, trim, logos, frame supports and more.
- There are also limited-edition 10th Anniversary versions of the Spyder F3-S, Spyder F3 Limited and Spyder RT Limited with special Gold and Jet Black Metallic livery. The 10th Anniversary models must be ordered by October 24—only vehicles ordered by that time will be produced.
For more information, visit can-am.brp.com/spyder