On any list of iconic motorcycles of the 20th century, Ducati’s 916 holds a place of prominence. Delivering the 1-2 knockout punches of stunning good looks and blistering performance, the 916, which debuted for 1994, is considered one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever designed. The beauty was also a beast, winning 120 races, eight constructors’ titles and six rider championships in World Superbike during its 10-year production run, which includes the larger-displacement 996 and 998 models. Closely associated with the 916 is British racer Carl “Foggy” Fogarty, who won 43 World Superbike races and four championships on the 916 and 996.
To celebrate the 916’s 25th anniversary, Ducati has unveiled a limited-edition Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916. Based on the Panigale V4 S, the 25th Anniversary edition has been upgraded with racing content from the Panigale V4 R such as the Ducati Corse Front Frame, the dry clutch and even more track-specific electronics, such as Ducati Quick Shift EVO 2 and “predictive” Ducati Traction Control EVO 2.
The special Panigale’s livery is inspired by the Ducati 996 SBK (winner of the 1999 World Superbike Championship) with forged magnesium Marchesini Racing wheels, a titanium type-approved Akrapovič exhaust and a wish list of carbon fiber and billet aluminum components. Limited to just 500 examples, each bike comes with an authenticity certificate that matches the laser-engraved ID number (XXX/500) on the top yoke with the engine and frame serial number.
Dedicated equipment for the Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916:
- “916 25° Anniversario” color scheme
- Numbered (xxx/500) machined-from-solid aluminum top yoke
- Front Frame with Ducati Corse specifications
- Two-tone rider’s seat
- Forged magnesium Marchesini Racing wheels
- Dry clutch
- Titanium Akrapovič type-approved silencer
- Ducati Traction Control EVO 2 (DTC EVO 2)
- Ducati Quick Shift EVO 2 (DQS EVO 2)
- Racing screen
- Carbon fiber front mudguard
- Carbon fiber rear mudguard
- Carbon fiber heel guards
- Carbon fiber/titanium swingarm cover
- Racing grips
- Adjustable billet aluminum rider footpegs
- Billet aluminum folding clutch and brake levers
- Brake lever guard (supplied)
- Ducati Data Analyser+ (DDA+) kit with GPS module (supplied)
- Open carbon fiber clutch cover (supplied)
- Special “25° Anniversario 916” bike cover (supplied)
- Billet aluminum racing-type filler cap (supplied)
- Plate holder removal cover (supplied)
- Billet aluminum rear view mirror plugs (supplied)
- “Shell” and “Foggy” logo stickers (supplied)
The Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 is powered by the 1,103cc Desmosedici Stradale. A MotoGP-derived 90-degree V4 with Desmodromic timing, it features a counter-rotating crankshaft and a Twin Pulse firing order, and it produces 214 horsepower at 13,000 rpm and 91 lb-ft of torque at 10,000 rpm. The engine is enhanced with the adoption of a dry clutch and type-approved titanium Akrapovič silencers.
From a chassis viewpoint, the Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 has it all. The front frame, which exploits the Desmosedici Stradale engine as a structural chassis element, is the same as the one on the Panigale V4 R but differs slightly on account of the lighter, machined sides. The frame is coupled to an Öhlins NIX-30 fork, an Öhlins TTX36 rear shock and an Öhlins steering damper, all managed by the Öhlins Smart EC 2.0 control system. This gives the rider access to next-level dynamic bike control, augmenting on-road safety and shortening on-track lap times. Ultralight forged magnesium Marchesini Racing wheels carry top-drawer brakes, with two 330mm Brembo discs with Brembo Stylema monoblock front calipers and a single 245mm disc with a 2-piston caliper at the rear.
The Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 has a latest-generation electronics package. Based on a 6-axis Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), it features controls designed to manage every aspect of riding. The electronic package includes:
- Bosch Cornering ABS EVO
- Ducati Traction Control EVO 2 (DTC EVO 2)
- Ducati Slide Control (DSC)
- Ducati Wheelie Control EVO (DWC EVO)
- Ducati Power Launch (DPL)
- Ducati Quick Shift up/down EVO 2 (DQS EVO 2)
- Engine Brake Control EVO (EBC EVO)
- Ducati Electronic Suspension EVO (DES EVO)
Furthermore, the Panigale V4 25° Anniversario 916 comes with the Ducati Data Analyser+ (DDA+) kit with GPS module. DDA+ is a telemetry system. Similar to those used in competitions, it consists of a data acquisition device (via CAN line) and analysis software that takes its inspiration from professional programs. The device records ride parameters such as cornering lines, RPM, gear, throttle aperture angle, front brake pressure, DTC intervention etc. and geo-locates them on the track. Once disconnected from the bike and connected to the PC via the USB port, the software lets the user upload the acquired data feeds and analyse on-track performance.
MSRP is $42,500. For more information, visit ducati.com.