Since its debut for 2010, BMW’s S 1000 RR sportbike, powered by a ferocious in-line four-cylinder engine that makes a claimed 190 horsepower (for 2015, peak output is up to 199 hp), has ruled the racetrack. An even more race-oriented version, the HP4, debuted for 2013, and the naked S 1000 R broke cover earlier this year. At the EICMA show in Milan, Italy, BMW Motorrad announced the fourth member of the S (Sport) line, the S 1000 XR “adventure sport,” which “encompasses dynamic touring qualities, sporty performance and high levels of comfort as well as outstanding everyday usability.”
The S 1000 XR’s liquid-cooled, 999cc in-line four is derived from the S 1000 R naked sportbike, with maximum output of 160 horsepower at 11,000 rpm and 83 lb-ft of torque at 9,250 rpm. Abundant torque is said to provide punchy response throughout the rev range, with ample power for carrying a full load with a passenger and luggage. Two riding modes (Rain and Road) and ASC (Automatic Stability Control) are standard, and the Pro riding modes option adds two more modes (Dynamic and Dynamic Pro), Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and ABS Pro.
The chassis is based on the S line’s existing design, with an aluminum-alloy perimeter frame that uses the engine as a stressed member. Steering geometry has been revised to fulfill the XR’s touring-oriented mission. Long-travel suspension is comprised of a male-slider fork and a single rear shock, and BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) is optional. As with all BMW motorcycles, ABS is standard. Optional ABS Pro adds a further margin of safety with anti-lock braking that works while leaned over in corners. Wheels are 17 inches in diameter front and rear, fuel capacity is 5.3 gallons, wet weight is 503 pounds (claimed) and seat height is 33.1 inches.
BMW says the new BMW S 1000 XR combines the characters and strengths of its GS, Touring and Sport models into a single machine, with excellent performance and handling, comfortable ergonomics, good wind and weather protection, and a full range of options and accessories.
Highlights of the new BMW S 1000 XR:
- In-line four-cylinder engine with a displacement of 999 cc. Maximum output of 160 horsepower at 11,000 rpm, maximum torque of 83 lb-ft at 9,250 rpm.
- Dynamic, innovative design with sculptural surface styling.
BMW Motorrad ABS as standard (semi-integral, disengageable).
- ABS Pro for even greater safety when braking in a banked position (as part of the Pro riding modes optional extra).
- Automatic Stability Control (ASC) as standard for accelerating safely even in low-grip conditions.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with banking sensor for supreme performance and active riding safety when accelerating (as part of the Pro riding modes optional extra).
- Two riding modes that can be selected by the rider at the push of a button as standard (“Rain” and “Road”).
- Two additional riding modes available, “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” (as part of the Pro riding modes optional extra).
- Spring elements with long spring travel for excellent agility and high damping reserves.
- Electronically controlled suspension system, Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) for optimum adaptation to the prevailing conditions as an optional extra.
- Light-footed handling and raised seating position.
- Multifunctional instrument cluster with a wealth of features.
The 2015 BMW S 1000 XR will be available in Racing Red or Light White. Price and availability are TBD.
- Touring Package: Dynamic ESA, heated grips, pannier mountings, preparation for navigation system incl. multi-controller, main stand, luggage grid
Dynamic Package: Pro riding modes (incl. DTC and ABS Pro), Gear Shift Assist Pro, cruise control, LED indicators
- Pro riding modes (ABS Pro, DTC and “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” riding modes)
- Cruise control
- Gear Shift Assist Pro
- Dynamic ESA
- Daytime running light
- Low rider seat
- Lowered suspension
- Heated grips
- Hand guards
- Main stand
- Pannier mountings
- Luggage grid
- Touring pannier
- Granite Grey Metallic Matt lid or Racing Red lid
- Small top box (30 litres)
- Backrest pad for 30-litre top box
- Luggage grid
- Inner bags for small top box
- Inner bags for panniers
- Tank rucksack
- LED indicators
- Akrapovič sport silencer
- Tinted windshield
- BMW Motorrad Navigator V
- Preparation for navigation system incl. multi-controller
- Navigator V cradle, cable and mounting kit
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Engine protection bar
- Front axle protectors
- Engine guard
- Auxiliary power socket
- Motorcycle cover
- Anti-theft alarm system
- HP Parts: carbon interior cockpit trim left/right; carbon tank cover; carbon front mudguard; carbon rear mudguard; carbon license plate holder cover; carbon sprocket cover; rider foot pegs; passenger foot pegs; Gear Shift Assist; clutch lever; brake lever; high seat; sport seat with Alcantara inserts and embroidery; forged wheels