Munich, Germany (July 2, 2010) – Since BMW Motorrad presented the six-cylinder Concept 6 last fall, rumors have circulated about what model might receive such a potent, in-line six engine. Six-cylinder in-line engines have powered BMW automobiles for over seven decades. Today BMW announced that its compact in-line six motorcycle engine will go into two new touring models: K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL.
BMW’s new 1600cc K bikes have been designed to combine maximum agility and riding dynamics in a powerful, luxurious package. Engine output is claimed to be 160 horsepower and 129 pound-feet of torque.
BMW K 1600 GT
The grand-touring K 1600 GT is said to strike a balance between an “active” (sporty) riding position and long-distance comfort, with a comfortable ergonomic triangle. Standard features will include xenon (HID) headlight, heated grips and seat, cruise control and on-board computer.
BMW K 1600 GTL
As replacement for the K 1200 LT luxury tourer, the K 1600 GTL will be BMW’s flagship touring model. Rider and passenger will benefit from relaxed, upright seating. Ergonomics design are geared towards enhanced comfort, with a two-level seat, rider footrests positioned further forward and lower down, and handlebars which reach further back than on the GT. Standard features will include a top trunk with passenger backrest, xenon headlight, heated grips and seat, cruise control and on-board computer.
Highlights of the K 1600 GT / K 1600 GTL
- In-line six-cylinder engine with peak output of 160 horsepower at 7,500 rpm 129 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm, with over 70% of maximum torque available from 1,500 rpm
- Lightest and most compact six-cylinder in-line engine in serial motorcycle production, weighing just 226.2 pounds and measuring 22 inches wide
- Consistent lightweight construction throughout the entire vehicle (magnesium front panel carrier, aluminum rear frame and crankshaft, etc.)
- E-Gas (ride-by-wire)
- Three modes to choose from (“Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”)
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS
- Dynamic Traction Control (optional)
- Chassis with Duolever and Paralever and ideal concentration of masses for dynamic riding properties combined with optimum comfort
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA II (optional)
- Adaptive Headlight (optional) in conjunction with standard xenon headlight and lighting rings for increased safety at night
- Multi-Controller, TFT color screen and menu guidance
- Audio system with preparation for navigation device and controllable interface for iPod, MP3, USB, Bluetooth and satellite radio (only USA and Canada) (standard on the K 1600 GTL)
- Extensive accessory offerings