Milwaukee, Wisconsin (June 7, 2010) – Following on the popularity of the 2009 Sportster XR1200, the new Harley-Davidson XR1200X takes performance to the next level. Introduced in 2010 for export markets, the XR1200X will be available through Harley-Davidson dealers in the United States as a 2011 model. Equipped with fully-adjustable Showa front and rear suspension components, the 2011 XR1200X can be dialed in to match rider weight, riding style and road conditions. The XR1200X also adds enhanced front brakes to the punch of a high-compression, 1200cc Evolution V-Twin engine.
With a tank and tail section designed to evoke the legendary Harley-Davidson XR750 – the king of the gritty American flat-track scene – the XR1200X puts its mechanical character on display. Wide flat-track bars and rearset footpegs position an assertive rider for active control. The XR1200X has a blacked-out powertrain and exhaust, revised tank graphics, and black wheels with an orange rim pinstripe. The XR1200X will be offered in two colors: Black Denim and White Hot Denim.
Harley-Davidson introduced the XR1200X on June 3 at the legendary Road America track in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, only an hour away from its Milwaukee headquarters. After members of the motorcycling press spent the day riding the XR1200X on the track and on the street—look for our evaluation in the September issue of Rider—it was unveiled to the public at the weekly Thursday Bike Night at the Harley-Davidson Museum in downtown Milwaukee. Scottie Parker, nine-time AMA Grand National Champion who raced the XR750 and helped develop the XR1200, was on the track and at the unveiling. The AMA Pro Vance & Hines XR1200 Series debuted at Road America on June 4-6, and it will continue over four more rounds of AMA Pro Racing.
Key XR1200X Features:
- Showa Big Piston Front fork (BPF) eliminates many of the internal components used in a cartridge-type fork, resulting in lighter overall fork weight. The large-diameter of the BPF internal piston allows a reduction in damping pressure for outstanding feedback and smooth action. Rebound and compression damping may be fine tuned with adjuster screws located on top of the fork bolts. The spring pre-load is adjusted with a M5 hex screw on the axle holders.
- Showa rear shocks feature 36mm pistons with piggy-back nitrogen charged reservoirs. The compression damping may be adjusted with a knob on top of the reservoir. Rebound is adjusted with a thumb wheel on the lower clevis. Rear spring pre-load is also adjustable.
- Nissin dual front brakes feature 292mm full-floating rotors and four-piston calipers.
- Isolation-mounted 1200cc XL Evolution V-Twin engine with black powdercoat finish features downdraft Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), high-performance camshafts, precision oil-cooled cylinder heads and a large-capacity oil cooler. Compression ratio is 10:1. The engine is rated at 74 ft. lbs. peak torque @ 4000 rpm (per SAE J1349).
- Upswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight-shot exhaust system with satin black finish offers extra cornering clearance.
- Chassis features a high-performance designed tubular mild steel frame. The rigid, cast-aluminum swingarm is engineered to enhance handling.
- Dunlop Qualifier D209 tires were designed specifically for the XR1200X.
- Three-spoke lightweight cast-aluminum wheels, 18-inch front / 17-inch rear, are finished in gloss black with an orange pinstripe on the rim.
- Wide, black dirt-track handlebar for enhanced steering leverage and comfort, reminiscent of the bars used on the legendary XR750.
- Rearset foot pegs for additional cornering clearance.
- Compact instrument display with white-faced analog tachometer, digital speedometer, dual trip meter and clock.
- 3.5-gallon fuel tank with aircraft-style aluminum alloy fuel filler.
- 29.2-inch seat height with standard passenger pillion and foot pegs.
- Optional Harley-Davidson Smart Security System.
MSRP will be $11,799. For more information, see your nearest Harley-Davidson dealer.