After a quiet first half of the year, BMW Motorrad has announced updates and a long-awaited new model for 2017. With stringent new Euro 4 regulations coming into effect for 2017, all BMW models will have an extra indicator light on the dash as required by EU4, as well as internal technical changes.
New BMW R nineT Scrambler
Information on the new R nineT Scrambler has been trickling out of BMW, and the latest is the German pricing: EUR 13,000 (including 19% VAT). We also now have a market launch date of September 17, 2016.
Based on the R nineT, the Scrambler features:
- Air/oil-cooled, 1,170cc, 2-cylinder boxer engine putting out a claimed 110 hp at 7,750 rpm.
- Modular frame concept with removable subframe.
- Traditional suspension system: telescopic fork at front and Paralever at rear.
- Large 19-inch front wheel as is typical of a scrambler.
- 4-piston front brake calipers, steel-wrapped brake lines, 320mm front discs and ABS.
- Raised exhaust fitted close to the body with twin silencers.
- Upright seating position in classic scrambler style.
- Stitched seat in distressed leather look.
- Designed to be customised.
- Full range of BMW accessories available.
F 700 GS/F 800 GS/F 800 GSA
Faced with increasing competition by the likes of Triumph and Honda, BMW is now equipping its mid-size ADV bikes with throttle-by-wire systems, which in turn means they now feature Riding Modes. “Rain” and “Road” are both standard across all three models, while the F 800 GS and GS Adventure get optional “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” modes for more technical off-road capability.
- Adaptation to EU4 requirements.
- Newly designed end piece of the standard tailpipe and HP sports silencer by Akrapovič (available as an Original BMW Motorrad Accessory).
- Electromotive throttle controller (throttle-by-wire) for improved response and control.
- Riding Modes “Rain” and “Road” as standard. Riding modes “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” (F 800 GS / F 800 GS Adventure only) as a factory option.
- Instrument panel with new dials, MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) and Riding Mode display.
- Three color options for the F 700 GS/F 800 GS and five color options for the F 800 GS Adventure.
- Side reflectors on fork slider tubes and fixed fork tubes.
- Available in August 2016.
All liquid-cooled boxer models
Like the current R 1200 GS Adventure, all liquid-cooled boxer models will now be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing.
BMW R 1200 GS
In addition to the technical changes described above, the instrument panel of the R 1200 GS features a revised design. The range of optional accessories includes a new crash bar that allows cylinder protection covers to be mounted. Available in August 2016.
BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
In addition to the technical changes described above, the instrument panel of the R 1200 GS Adventure features a revised design. As of model year 2017, the color Ocean Blue metallic matte is being discontinued for the R 1200 GS Adventure. Available in August 2016.
New BMW R 1200 GS Adventure “Triple Black”
The popular “Triple Black” color scheme is now available on the big GSA! The central fuel tank cover, storage compartment lid and front mudguard are done in Blackstorm Metallic, with the fuel tank side panels in Dark Slate Metallic. The frame is Agate Grey while the engine, gearbox and swing arm are all black. A new black seat with the GS logo embossed on the passenger section rounds off the Triple Black package. U.S. pricing has yet to be announced, but in Germany it will be EUR 16,830 (including 19% VAT). Available in August 2016.
BMW R 1200 RT
In addition to the technical changes described above, the R 1200 RT is now available with optional ABS Pro, which senses lean angle and adjusts intervention accordingly (as part of the Ride Modes Pro option package). It is also available in two new colors: Carbon Black Metallic and Alpine White. Ebony Metallic and San Marino Blue Metallic are no longer available. Platinum Bronze Metallic remains in the program. Available in August 2016.
BMW R 1200 R
In addition to the technical changes described above, the R 1200 R is now available with optional ABS Pro, which senses lean angle and adjusts intervention accordingly (as part of the Ride Modes Pro option package). It is available in two colors: Racing Red and “R 1200 R Sport,” which is a combination of a Light White tank and Cordoba Blue frame. Available in August 2016.
BMW R 1200 RS
In addition to the technical changes described above, the R 1200 RS also gets ABS Pro as part of the Ride Modes Pro option package. It is only available in one color scheme this year: “R 1200 RS Sport,” which is a combination of Light White Metallic and Magellan Gray Metallic with a red frame. Available in August 2016.