BMW Motorrad entered the scooter market — what it calls the Urban Mobility segment — back in 2012 with its C 600 Sport and C 650 GT. The 647cc maxi scooters stayed in the lineup for a number of years, but for the 2022 model year the only offering will be the updated and new-to-the-U.S. C 400 GT. Priced at $8,495, it will be available in the spring of 2021.
Available in Europe since 2018, the C 400 GT receives updates for the 2022 model year and for its arrival in the States. As its Gran Turismo name implies, the new GT is geared toward touring and comfort while still offering agility and the twist-and-go user-friendliness scooters are known for.
The 350cc single-cylinder engine receives new EU-5 emissions certification and delivers a claimed 34 horsepower at 7,500 rpm and 26 lb-ft of torque at 5,750 rpm. Power is transmitted through a CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) and a rigid aluminum double-sided swingarm with a swingarm bearing designed for reduced vibration.
A new electronic throttle is paired with a new engine management system. Additional improvements for 2022 include new or updated matrix and coating for the catalytic converter, wideband oxygen sensor, cylinder head, sensor on the generator cover, clutch springs, wiring harness and idle speed control.
The idle speed regulator has been removed from the airbox and the idle speed control now operates via a throttle valve bypass and turbulence system. The throttle-by-wire improves both idle response and allows for a smoother and more sensitive throttle response.
The Automatic Stability Control (ASC), aka traction control, has been updated for 2022 and features a new automatic radius calibration system, replacing the manual recalibration system. The new ASC is also designed for lower friction levels, allowing for a more sensitive response in wet and slippery surface conditions.
The new 2022 C 400 GT receives new brake calipers with improved piston response which allow the dual front discs to provide more stability and feedback. The front brake lever is located on the right handlebar with the rear brake lever on the left.
The 31-liter storage compartment (45 liters with Flexcase) now features lighting from above for improved visibility inside the compartment. The right-front storage compartment features a 12-volt outlet as well as a new USB charging socket.
With a base price of $8,495, plus a $495 destination charge, the 2022 BMW C 400 GT comes standard in Alpine White. Other color options include Callisto Grey Metallic ($150) and Black Storm Metallic (with Triple Black Package, $250). For more information, visit BMW Motorrad.
- 6.5-inch TFT screen with connectivity
- On-board computer
- Keyless Ride
- LED headlight, turn signals and rear light
- Variable storage compartment
- Triple Black Package – Black Storm Metallic paint with matte graphics
- Premium Package – Heated seat and grips
- Low seat – 29.5-inch height
- High windshield
- Motorrad Navigator VI and cradle
- Scooter cover
- Top case, 30-liter
2022 BMW C 400 GT Specs
- Engine type: Liquid-cooled single w/ 4 valves per cyl.
- Displacement: 350cc
- Bore x stroke: 80.0 x 69.6mm
- Compression ratio: 11.5:1
- Power: 34 hp @ 7,500 rpm
- Torque: 26 lb-ft @ 5,750 rpm
- Intake / exhaust valve diameter: 32.5 / 27.2mm
- Throttle diameter: 40.0mm
- Engine control: BMS-ME electronic fuel injection
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Generator: 316 watts
- Battery: 12V9Ah
- Transmission: CVT belt w/ centrifugal force dry clutch
- Frame: Steel bridge frame
- Suspension, front: 35mm telescopic fork w/ 4.3 in. travel
- Rear: Aluminum double-sided swing-arm, double-spring strut, adjustable spring preload w/ 4.4 in. travel
- Seat height: 30.5 in.
- Rake/trail: 26.4 degrees/3.2 in.
- Wheelbase: 61.4 in.
- Brakes, front: Dual 265mm discs w/ 4-piston floating caliper & ABS
- Rear: Single 276mm disc w/ 1-piston floating caliper & ABS
- Wheels, front: 3.50 x 15 in.
- Rear: 4.24 x 14 in.
- Tires, front: 120/70ZR15
- Rear: 150/70ZR14
- Wet weight: 471 lbs. (claimed)
- Fuel capacity (reserve): 3.4 (0.8) gals.
- Acceleration, 0-62 mph: 9.6 sec.
- Top speed: 86 mph