Husqvarna’s new electric minicycle, the 2023 EE 3, follows in the footsteps of the Husqvarna EE 5. First produced in 2020, the EE 5 was Husqvarna’s first step into electric mobility, designed with a focus on competition and performance to rival 50cc gas-powered motorcycles. The EE 5’s new younger sibling, the EE 3, features much of the same high-quality technology but in a smaller and more manageable package for aspiring riders just getting started.
Related Stories: Read all of Rider‘s Husqvarna coverage here.
The EE 3 and EE 5 act as stepping stones for young riders, allowing them to get comfortable on a motorcycle without being overwhelmed. As electric bikes, there is no clutch or gearbox to master, simplifying the riding experience. Both bikes produce next to no noise, making them ideal for riding in areas sensitive to sound emissions.
While the EE 5 produces a peak power of 5kW, making it competitive with gas-powered motorcycles, the EE 3 produces a less-intimidating 3.8kW of peak power. The electric motors for both bikes have a slim and compact design, making them well-suited for the frames. The EE 5’s 907Wh lithium-ion battery will run for a claimed two hours of general riding or 25 minutes of power-racing with a charge time of 70 minutes. Similarly, Husqvarna says the EE 3’s 648Wh lithium-ion battery will run for two hours of general riding and 30 minutes of fast-paced riding with a charge time of 60 minutes. The charger can be plugged into any 110- or 230-volt socket.
Both the EE 3 and the EE 5 feature adjustable seat heights, so young riders can adjust their seat as they grow. With a seat height of 23.6 inches and the ability to lower the seat to 21.9 inches, the EE 3 will be more approachable for shorter riders than the EE 5, which sits at 26.2 inches and can be lowered to 24.2 inches. The EE 3 features 10-inch wheels front and back, while the EE 5 sports a 12-inch front wheel and 10-inch rear wheel.
Both bikes come with six different ride modes, so parents can adjust the power level depending on the rider and the type of riding. A dongle under the seat allows parents to lock the ride mode so that riders can’t change to a more powerful ride mode in the middle of their ride. For added safety, both bikes have a roll-over sensor that immediately cuts power and a wrist lanyard key that cuts power in an uncontrollable riding situation.
2023 Husqvarna EE 3 and EE 5 Technical Highlights
- Electric motors with 3.8kW (EE 3) and 5kW (EE 5) peak output
- Six different ride modes
- 648Wh (EE 3) and 907Wh (EE 5) lithium-ion batteries
- 60 minutes (EE 3) and 70 minute (EE 5) charge time from empty to 100% (claimed)
- EE 3 seat height of 23.1 inches (adjusts to 21.9 inches)
- EE 5 seat height of 26.2 inches (adjusts to 24.2 inches)
- New MAXXIS MAXXCROSS MX-ST tires give predictable grip on a variety of terrain
- EE 3 tires are 10 inches
- EE 5 front tire is 12 inches and rear tire is 10 inches
- EE 3 features durable WP suspension
- EE 5 features WP XACT air fork and a WP XACT rear shock
- Swedish-inspired design and new, modern graphics in white, blue, and electric yellow accents
- Ergonomics are adjustable to suit rider size
The new 2023 EE 3 and the returning 2023 EE 5 will be available starting in October 2022.
Visit Husqvarna’s website for more information.