This morning Harley-Davidson announced some major changes to eight models in its touring lineup for 2014; the press release is below. Editor-in-Chief Mark Tuttle is attending the international launch in Colorado and will have more details this evening after the press conference.
In the largest scale new model launch in the company’s 110-year history, Project RUSHMORE encompasses eight new motorcycles that feature improved power and braking performance, enhanced rider ergonomics, and dramatic styling updates that completely redefine and fundamentally transform the touring motorcyclist’s experience.
Countless ideas. Thousands of hours of research and testing. Eight extraordinary motorcycles. Project RUSHMORE introduces technology and design enhancements that will recalibrate the expectations of the touring motorcyclist: Savvy electronic controls and infotainment. Aerodynamics born in the wind tunnel. Bodywork shaped by the most-respected styling team in the industry. Comfort good for endless miles and, of course, more American V-Twin power. The road trip will never be the same.
Project RUSHMORE is the result of an entirely new way to produce motorcycles. In a process that invokes the voice of the customer throughout an accelerated development program, the ideas and dreams of thousands of motorcyclists are allowed to percolate with those of Harley-Davidson employees.
“Project RUSHMORE is a pure expression of our relationship with our customers and a shared passion for riding motorcycles,” said Mark-Hans Richer, Harley-Davidson Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. “It’s resulted in some outstanding innovations, but from day one we’ve been focused on taking the total rider and passenger experience to the next level. We come together—to quote the Beatles—through a process that uses not just formal feedback, but the kind of input we get from listening to customers out on the road, and then we blend that with our engineering and styling expertise. For years at Harley-Davidson we’ve been saying that we ride with you. Project RUSHMORE elevates that devotion to a higher level.”
Building on the technological foundation that established the company’s dominant leadership in the touring motorcycle segment, eight new 2014 Harley-Davidson models, including Road King, Street Glide, Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Ultra Limited, Tri Glide Ultra, CVO Ultra Limited and CVO Road King feature innovative Project RUSHMORE-inspired enhancements. They slot into five customer-defined categories:
Control: Project RUSHMORE bikes pass faster, stop quicker and see farther at night, thus inspiring rider confidence. Each model features the new Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 or the High Output Twin Cam 103 powertrain—both with fuel injection, Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System), and Daymaker LED and Dual Halogen lighting.
- High Output Twin Cam 103™: Harley-Davidson powertrain engineers working with Project RUSHMORE tuned the new High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine specifically to deliver more passing power. Equipped with a new camshaft to optimize bottom-end torque and a new high-flow airbox, the HO Twin Cam 103 delivers 5 percent more torque than the standard Twin Cam 103™ powertrain in a Touring configuration. The result is a dramatic improvement in 60-to-80 mph roll-on acceleration in fifth gear, the kind of real-world power that hustles a rider back into the right-hand lane, or up the mountain briskly, even with a passenger and gear on board. The new airbox has the added comfort-enhancing benefit of improving legroom and airflow around the rider. The HO Twin Cam 103 is Original Equipment on the 2014 Harley-Davidson Road King®, Street Glide®, Street Glide® Special, and Electra Glide® Ultra Classic® motorcycle models.
- Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™: Designed to maintain performance in the most-challenging situations, the new Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ powertrain is featured in the 2014 Ultra Limited and Tri Glide™ Ultra models. A combination of air-cooled and precision liquid cooling strategies allow the Twin-Cooled High Output 103 to maintain peak performance under the most demanding loads and riding conditions, and enables a higher 10.1:1 compression ratio for increased power and efficiency. The Twin-Cooled High Output 103 offers 10.7 percent more peak torque than the standard Twin Cam 103 engine. Liquid coolant is routed through the cylinder heads in the area around the exhaust valves and then to ducted heat exchangers located in the left and right fairing lowers. The precision cooling system is thermostatically controlled, and uses an electric pump to circulate coolant. The Twin-Cooled High Output 103 may also improve thermal comfort to the rider and passenger in extreme conditions, such as stop-and-go traffic in high ambient temperatures. Cylinder head temperatures are lower, the airbox shape improves airflow, and reshaped fairing lowers improve venting of air to the rider and passenger.
Infotainment: New color-screen Boom! Box infotainment systems feature the first original-equipment voice recognition and touchscreen for music, GPS navigation and phone in motorcycling, with quality audio, Bluetooth connectivity, text-to-speech technology, plus support for intercom and CB communications in a single module.
Feel: Aerodynamics and ergonomics come together to improve comfort—from the new Batwing fairing with splitstream venting, which reduces head buffeting by 20 percent, to best-in-class ride for passengers with wider and deeper seats and new back and arm rests.
Style: The form and the function of many components are improved—a larger Tour-Pak and saddlebags with convenient One-Touch latches, sleeker fenders, lighter cast aluminum wheels and intuitive hand control switches.
**Additional Harley-Davidson 2014 Motorcycle News**
Additional headlines from the 2014 Harley-Davidson lineup include the restyled Fat Bob model, the availability of anti-lock brakes on all five 2014 Sportster models and the continued integration of H-D1 Factory Customization.
- The Dark Custom styling of the Fat Bob model gets a makeover from Harley-Davidson Styling and now projects a new assertive authority. Highlights include a new slash-cut rear fender with a recessed twin-ring LED tail lamp. Then black replaces chrome everywhere, including the powertrain, air cleaner cover, rear shock covers, triple clamps, headlamp trim rings, console and battery box cover. The Aluminum Slotted Disc wheels are powdercoated black and finished with a laser-engraved Harley-Davidson logo and rim stripe.
- The new Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special is a “fully loaded” version of the popular performance Touring model equipped with a High Output Twin Cam 103 powertrain, Boom! Box 6.5GT infotainment system, Batwing fairing with splitstream vent, Dual Halogen headlamp, Enforcer cast aluminum wheels and Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS.
All five 2014 Harley-Davidson Sportster models are available with the confidence-inspiring control of ABS. The Sportster line also features new hand controls and brake components, improved service access, and an optional keyless H-D Smart Security System with a proximity-based, hands-free security fob.
- The 2014 CVO series of limited-production motorcycles features the new CVO Softail Deluxe model, a premium custom touring motorcycle equipped with a detachable windscreen with GPS navigation, Daymaker LED lighting, detachable saddlebags and of course the bold paint and big Screamin’ Eagle powertrain that’s always part of the CVO program. The CVO Road King and super-premium CVO Limited return with new features and Project RUSHMORE enhancements. The bold CVO Breakout Softail chopper returns with three dazzling new paint schemes.
H-D1 Factory Customization: The web-based program that allows customers to select factory-installed options that personalize fit, function and style to the Sportster 1200 Custom and Street Bob offers new color options for both bikes, including two new custom paint sets for the Sportster 1200 Custom: Charcoal Pearl Eagle Graphic and Mysterious Red Paisley Skull in addition to new Hard Candy Custom color options. By using the online Bike Builder, customers may choose from different wheels, paint and engine finishes to dramatically alter the look of the motorcycle. In addition, to fit the motorcycle to each customer, different combinations of foot-control locations, seat choices and handlebars can be selected. Customers can expect to be riding their new bike in as little as four weeks from the time an H-D1 order is placed with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer.
- The V-Rod family now has ABS as standard equipment and new paint colors and graphics are available on the Muscleand Night Rod Special.
The Twin Cam 103 powertrain is now standard equipment on the Street Bob and Super Glide Custom models, both part of the smooth-handling Dyna line.
- Six Harley-Davidson Softail models offer traditional hard-tail lines with modern ride and handling thanks to suspension components hidden within the frame rails. Introduced mid-year 2013, the long and low-slung Breakout is an urban chopper with authentic swagger, distinctive finishes and specific components not available on other Harley-Davidson bikes.
For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s website at harley-davidson.com.